[sf-lug] The LUG list is back and just in time...

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Oct 25 23:39:43 PDT 2018

Quoting Todd Hawley (celticdm at gmail.com):

> Thanks Rick for posting that history of Solaris.

You're quite welcome.  I'm sure I cut corners a lot, skipped vast, vast
amounts of detail, and probably committed sundry heinous inaccuracies
despite best intentions.

FWIW, I'm actually pretty fond of Solaris (albeit not so much of SMF,
the Service Management Facility that replaced System V Init in recent
Solaris releases).

> I worked at Sun on contract gigs 3 or 4 times back in the 90s (at
> their huge Milpitas campus right along 880, their Mtn View campus
> right in back of Shoreline Marshland and Menlo Park, next to 101).

My wife and I used to say that the Dumbarton Bridge had Sun-to-Sun
connectivity, given the company campuses on each end.

> I thought Solaris was dead (and technically it is), but it's good to
> know that it lives on in other forms.

In fairness, Oracle Solaris is very much alive.  I just tend to be more
interested in its open source cousins (the several illumos-based
distos), unless someone's paying me to (e.g.) administer a bunch of
Oracle storage appliances, in which case I grit my teeth and review my
old notes about SMF.  ;->