[sf-lug] Got router? / Where *is* that ("other") router? (linuxmafia.com)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Oct 25 18:12:22 PDT 2018

> So, I noticed earlier, when linuxmafia.com had bit earlier been ungraciously
> disconnected from the Internet by AT&T ...
>
> When I did a traceroute from my host(s) at home,
> I only saw one hop beyond host itself.
[...]

Thanks for the probing results.  I've been meaning to do some
poking around too, but haven't had a chance, yet.  (There's a lot of
correspondence to do, for one thing.)  tcptraceroute might be more
enlightening:  Sometimes, devices have been configured to not
respond to ICMP echo on some dumb 'How to not be seen' theory
(cue Monty Python skit).

Among the things I am contemplating is a cross-check to see whether
my 16-year-old Westell ADSL bridge device has a hardware fault or
not.  The earlier surmise to that effect is logically open to
question.

_Or_ I could just decide it doesn't matter, and discard it.