[sf-lug] choices/defaults: Re: systemd 8-O ...

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Fri Jun 1 21:05:27 PDT 2018

> From: "Rick Moen" <rick at linuxmafia.com>
> Subject: Re: [sf-lug] systemd 8-O ... ; -) Re:  SF-LUG meeting notes
> + abt some lightweight distros
> Date: Thu, 31 May 2018 17:34:55 -0700

> But, to address the elephant standing in the room, stomping on the flor
> and trumpeting loudly:  This assumes the admin gives a damn about init
> systems -- and hardly anyone does, or even can conceive of a reason why
> he/she _ought_ to care.
>
> And that, in turn, leads to another obvious consequence:  People
> overwhelmingly do not make choices in this area; they just work with
> whatever comes by default.  Oddly enough, it also turns out that Linux
> distributions have drifted around in this area without a lot of
> mindfulness, too.
>
> _Should_ readers of this thread care?  Maybe not.  They probably have a
> lot more important things to think about, and don't see any reason to
> even learn what an init system _is_.  And who am I to call that wrong?

Well, in my opinion, in far too many cases, folks just go with defaults,
and don't bother to make decisions.  E.g. I see a whole lot 'o folks
make their decisions on which distro largely if not entirely by some
defaults of a distro, rather than at all what the distro has and can
very easily do/provide, or drop out if unwanted.

Analogies ... ;-) okay, so they have their flaws/hazards, but ...

I often see folks picking distros in a manner which ... well, if they
decided they might want to purchase an automobile or some mode of
transportation, well, their experience and actions/reactions might
go about like this:

"
I thought I might want a car or something like that.

I went to a Ford dealer, test drove a Ford.
I didn't like the car - it was green.  So I decided I don't want a Ford.

I went to a Chevrolet dealer.  Test drove a Chevy.
I didn't like the car - it came with power windows - an optional
package that was installed.  I prefer not to have power windows
and decided I wouldn't want the extra cost of that package either.
So I decided Chevrolet/Chevy isn't for me.

I found someone with a Tesla, and they let me drive it.
Impressive acceleration, sporty, don't have to put gas in it.
But it only has two seats.  I need to carry at least 3 people, I decided
a Tesla isn't for me.

I found some ad on CraigsList - used vehicle, but in good shape.
I went to check it out, gave it a test ride.  I actually liked it,
and bought it ... paid cash.  So now I'm driving a motorcycle with a
side-car.  The motorcycle itself is big enough to take two people and
has the rear seat and foot pegs 'n all that, and the side-car handles my
third passenger just fine.  It's manufactured by some company in
Russia.  It came with some used printed documentation, but I'm
having some problems with it - looks like Russian or something
like that to me.
"

And ... 3 months later, they're like:
"
Help, I'm having problems with my vehicle.  I tried the Ford
support forum, but they weren't very nice to me about helping me
fix the issue on my Russian motorcycle.  Can I bring it to your
meeting and you'll fix it for me?  Model?  I don't know what model
it is.  Oh, someone tells me now I shouldn't have put Honda parts
on it to fix earlier issue I ran into.  Is that true?  Why not?
Honda makes motorcycle parts.
"