[sf-lug] changed subject: "To just do NAT router/gateway service"

Alex Kleider akleider at sonic.net
Fri Apr 20 16:35:35 PDT 2018

On 2018-04-20 12:36, Bobbie Sellers wrote:
>     I found an article at
> <https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/04/the-ars-guide-to-building-a-linux-router-from-scratch/>
> that gives me a handle on what Rick Moen has apparently been suggesting
> that
> I use a router with a good Linux distrifution to replace the all in
> one box consumer devices.
> I have been using so would be happy to accept one of your Dreamplugs
> to attempt to produce
> such a device against the possibility that Cloudflare or another
> malware will attempt
> to hit twice on the same address.
>
>     Bobbie Sellers

Another thought has occurred to me:
Check out https://github.com/alexKleider/phInfo
It's goal is to set up a Raspberry Pi as a content server but if
connected to the internet via ethernet cable (you'd still need a modem
(and only a modem- phone or cable: depending on how you get your
internet)) you'd have connectivity through wifi. and I'm sure you could
get lots of advice how it could be 'hardened.'  I'd be very interested
in such advice.
I'm not trying to renege on the Dreamplug- it's still yours for the
asking, but the R Pi is inexpensive and would be much easier to set up.