[sf-lug] changed subject: "To just do NAT router/gateway service"

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Fri Apr 20 12:36:09 PDT 2018

On 04/18/2018 06:40 PM, Alex Kleider wrote:
> On 2018-04-18 18:01, Rick Moen wrote:
>
>> To just do NAT router/gateway service, you could just employ any Linux
>> box whatsoever that has two network ports.  It's pretty dead-simple.
>> Adding a running copy of the ISC DHCP daemon (server) program is
>> likewise no big deal.  (If PPPoE is required, this is also where you'd
>> run the Roaring Penguin PPPoE client.)  Adding WAP functionality would
>> take a bit more doing.  (I would guess Daniel knows all about that.)
>
> If anyone wants to do what Rick describes above, I have several
> Dreamplugs[1] lying around.
> I'd be happy to give one (or more of them) away, in exchange perhaps
> for the promise that if anything useful is done with them the method
> of making it happen is 'open sourced' i.e. so I could make another do
> the same.
>
> [1] https://www.globalscaletechnologies.com/p-54-dreamplug-devkit.aspx
> (It's got two ethernet ports.)
>
> If one were to add a usb wifi dongle, it could be configured to serve
> as a wifi access point as well.
> This I've successfully done using a Raspberry Pi.
     It certainly seems like a powerful device.
     I found an article at
<https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/04/the-ars-guide-to-building-a-linux-router-from-scratch/>
that gives me a handle on what Rick Moen has apparently been suggesting that
I use a router with a good Linux distrifution to replace the all in one
box consumer devices.
I have been using so would be happy to accept one of your Dreamplugs to
attempt to produce
such a device against the possibility that Cloudflare or another malware
will attempt
to hit twice on the same address.

     Bobbie Sellers