[sf-lug] changed subject: "To just do NAT router/gateway service"

Alex Kleider akleider at sonic.net
Wed Apr 18 18:40:03 PDT 2018

On 2018-04-18 18:01, Rick Moen wrote:

> To just do NAT router/gateway service, you could just employ any Linux
> box whatsoever that has two network ports.  It's pretty dead-simple.
> Adding a running copy of the ISC DHCP daemon (server) program is
> likewise no big deal.  (If PPPoE is required, this is also where you'd
> run the Roaring Penguin PPPoE client.)  Adding WAP functionality would
> take a bit more doing.  (I would guess Daniel knows all about that.)

If anyone wants to do what Rick describes above, I have several
Dreamplugs[1] lying around.
I'd be happy to give one (or more of them) away, in exchange perhaps for
the promise that if anything useful is done with them the method of
making it happen is 'open sourced' i.e. so I could make another do the
same.

[1] https://www.globalscaletechnologies.com/p-54-dreamplug-devkit.aspx
(It's got two ethernet ports.)

If one were to add a usb wifi dongle, it could be configured to serve as
a wifi access point as well.
This I've successfully done using a Raspberry Pi.