[sf-lug] SF-LUG Meets Monday, 19 February 2018 at the Cafe Enchante

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Mon Feb 12 09:53:58 PST 2018

Hi LUGers,

   SF-LUG meets every third Monday from 6 P.M. to 8 P.M.
and  every first Sunday from 11 A.M. to 1 P.M.
at the Cafe Enchante, 26th and Geary Boulevard.
The coming meeting happens on Presidents' Day.

     These meetings are usually lightly attended with a high for the
year so far of 7 members.   If you have a problem come along
and maybe we can help but if not we can usually find someone
who can.

     Last Saturday 02/10 I got the latest issue of Linux Pro magazine
#2007.  Distributions of the month are 32-bit Ubuntu Mate 17.10
and 64 bit Linux Mint in the Cinnamon flavor.
     We have the usual mix of slightly out dated news and great
technical articles.
      Headline articles include "Inside a Compiler" (what really
happens to that code).  covers GCC, Clang and MSVC.
     Brown Dog Gadjets which are projects that provide
more fun with digital devices and science,
     Neural Networks - Can a program play the Monty Hall
Game?
     GUI Firewall Tools -Airtight security in easy view.
     Catch A Fox - Move to a Wildlife Trap with a
micro-controller.  (humane and conservationist.)
     Guetzli compresses JPEG and PGN images to
as much as 1/3 but you need a powerful computer
with lots of free memory.

     Linux Voice is back again:
FOSS Picks:  Audacity 2.2.0
                     KTouch Tutor(touch typing)
                     Console Candy
     Tutorial: Video Stream in FFmpeg
     Bd, Autojump and Fasd- cool tools for
Command Line Navigation.
     maddog: Your Own Personal Cloud
     Why has Docker adopted Kubernetes?
     And much much more...

     And added to the Distribution Library

     I have added two newish 32 bit distributions to the library.
You know I like PCLinuxOS64? Well the new community
32-bit distros have the name "Uplos" and are from Italy.
The name was chosen so that that there would be no confusion
with the 64-bit release. I have an older one with the Trinity
interface and a newer one with Mate.
People who like good guis on their desktops but hate
systemd  will like these.
<http://www.liberainformatica.it/forum/showthread.php?tid=322&my_post_key=404bc6ac24c16e3ab5f320ee2a3f43a8&language=english>

     Kali 2018.1 is out! It has 32 and 64 bit versions and
quite a variety of desktop manager environments and
versions for ARM as well as the x86 processors.
I took the one offered by Distrowatch.com. Then
I went to the site below and got the 32 bit version.
It also has light versions of the distro.
<https://www.kali.org/>

Kali now has a manual which can be downloaded
<https://kali.training/>

     If someone has a very slow download line and
wants a copy of a specific version let me know asap.

     Finally a Puppy Quirky 8.4 is out!
     Should have it on a cd by the meeting time but
if you cannot wait you can go to Distrowatch.com
to catch it on your own.  Well you can read about
it at the URL below:
<http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/quirky6/amd64/releases/xerus-8.4/release-xerus64-8.4.htm>
     If you want instructions on installation of the ISO file to a CD or
the Image flie
to a Flash Drive you can read them at the following URL.
<http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/quirky6/amd64/releases/xerus-8.4/howto-install.htm>

Might want to take a look at the Distrowatch weekly newsletter,
<https://distrowatch.com/>

         So I hope to see a few of the rest of us at the meeting
but we are getting about <2% of the total membership coming
to these meetings.

     Happy Valentine's Day!

     Bobbie Sellers