[sf-lug] SF-LUG meets Sunday, February 4. 2018

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Mon Jan 29 11:32:12 PST 2018

Hi LUGers,

   SF-LUG meets every first Sunday from 11 A.M. to 1 P.M.
and every third Monday from 6 P.M. to 8 P.M.
at the Cafe Enchante, 26th and Geary Boulevard.

     These meetings are usually lightly attended with a high for the
year so far of 7 members.   If you have a problem come along
and maybe we can help but if not we can usually find someone
who can.

   So I wondered what I would have to write about and here
is a new version of an older distribution.

     Now I was having a problem with the Grub and booting
without using SuperGrub Disk2 on my Dell E6520.
     It was making me irritable.
         Rescatux to the Rescue!  rescatux-0.51b3.iso to be precise!

     Well I have pretty much fixed my problems using rescatux-0.51b3.iso
It took me less than an hour to download over my DSL connection and then
I had to write it to a CD.  Rebooted with it and this took about 30
minutes to fix the Grub2 on this machine.  This is a very thorough repair
and this will re-install Windows boot loaders as well.
     The last time I tried Rescatux it was at version 0.31 I believe
and I could not get much done with it.  Now it works just fine.
     It has useful on disk documentation. So for download
(from Source Forge) but for information on the programs
and capabilities go to:
<https://www.supergrubdisk.org/rescatux/>

Grab the MD5sum offered first then go for the iso file.

     If anyone wants a copy of the disk let me know before the meeting
or I will only have a couple of copies for regular attendees who seem
interested in Live utility disks.

     Also just last night Parrot-security-3.11_amd64.iso is in and
will be on disk shortly after send this off.

         I will be checking at Fog City News for the latest issue of
Linux Pro
magazine as well as the legendary "Luscious Lemon" chocolate bar.
If I find the new Linux Pro I will post about it asap.

      Well I hope we get good attendance as Mikki wants
to put Ubuntu on the machine she recieved from a member
of another group to which she belongs.

      I have searched on this model and Linux and found
no notable problems though the cites are few.  I am watching
Utube videos about disassembly and repair as the documents
from Toshiba are strictly user stuff.
	The Toshiba Satellite line changed a lot over time.
The changes to the case had one worker on his video using
a power driver to loosen about 20 screws and i still am
not sure where the hard drive was located.  From Mikki's
description of the case this is one of the other models.
In one of her earlier communications she said that the
the model number was A135-S4427

  Quoting edited email from Mikki:
[She borrowed a laptop from the Brisbane Public Library.]

> Hi.  Bobbie;
>
> 	The Toshiba was presented to a friend on retirement
> 8 years ago, and he wants nothing to do with a computer.  He
> heard I had lost the Asus, and gave the Toshiba to me,  to
> keep the group that we both belong to operating and going .
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Here  are the specs from the labels:
>
> Toshiba Satellite  A136-S4427;  120G hard drive;   Intel Duocore, Duoprocessor
> T2250   1024 MB SDRAM;     802.11 a/b/g wireless LAN
>
> Intel Centrino  Duo
>
> see infoToshiba.com
>
> It is loaded with Windows Vista..

          cut

      So as I say I hope technical-minded people will be
coming to meetings in February.
	Enjoy the Super Blue and Red Moon coming up January 31,.
	Gentlemen should not forget that Valentine's Day
is coming up right after Mardi Gras and that Ash Wednesday
is coming up on Saint Valentine's Day.

	Happier holidays!

	Bobbie Sellers