[sf-lug] SF-LUG meeting notes for Sunday 7 January 2018

acohen36 acohen36 at SDF.ORG
Mon Jan 8 10:40:54 PST 2018

Emendations and additions below..

Bobbie Sellers <bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com> wrote:

> ??? 11:30 AM Tom showed up and I must say I was glad to
> see him.  He brought along his laptop and was working on it
> the last I saw him. Ken helped him with creating a new "/home"
> partition. Tom took home the December issue of Linux Pro.
>
> 11:40 Aaron C. came in with his small laptop or netbook and some
> other things.

IIRC, Tom was also working on trying to update/fix a known bug on his
Ubuntu 17.10 laptop. This might have had to do with a bug that corrupts
the BIOS in laptops such as his as reported at [01].
My "small laptop or netbook" was actually a Lenovo netbook which
fortunately did *not* have Ubuntu 17.10 installed ;-)
And no version of Ubuntu or Linux Mint has been installed on it.

Bobbie Sellers <bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com> wrote:

> 12:00 Jackie B. showed up for help with setting up the printer on the
> 16.04.3 Ubuntu and between simple advice from Ken and repetition from
> me, I think we gave her a good grounding in the topic.  If she has
> further problems I promised to come over and try to help her with them.

IIRC, Jackie was trying to get a Xerox printer, its driver(s), and its
managing software recognized in 16.04.3 Ubuntu.  First Bobbi S and Ken S
were trying to use the LPRng commands 'lpc', 'lpq', and other commands to
see what they could do on Jacki's Toshiba (see [02], [03] and others.)
They then investigated using CUPS [04] to better activate the software
recognizing the Xerox printer.

I see that the former linuxprinting.org website is now managed by the
Linux Foundation and is now the OpenPrinting site [05]. The OpenPrinting
site has a comprehensive FAQ at [06] that I think will be very helpful for
Jackie's and others' printing needs under Linux. This metaFAQ has further
helpful links to info on

- LPRng
- CUPS
- Distribution-specific printing
- Xerox printers (such as Jackie's)

The OpenPrinting site also has a list of specific Xerox printers that are
"Penguin-rated" for Linux compatibility [07]; all the way from a Perfect
three-Penguin rating down to the Paperweight null-Penguin rating.

Bobbie Sellers <bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com> wrote:

> I also spoke to some Alaskans who were interested in Linux.
> One or more may join the mailing list for further information
> and I gave them a bookmark with the relevant information so
> that they can reach out to us if no local group is closer at hand.

One of the Alaskans we spoke to mentioned that the closest LUG to him was
the AlaskaLUG [08] located ~250miles away from him in Anchorage, AK.
I received the distinct impression that even if he was located 250mi
Southeast of Anchorage, the AlaskaLUG would be much much closer to him
than the Juneau LUG [09] According to last week's AKLUG mailing-list
posting [10], their meetings are planned to occur on the 3rd Tuesdays of
each month starting 2/20. As far as the invitation to "reach out to us if
no local group is closer at hand", this may entirely depend on Internet
accessibility from his location. From a cursory survey of HSI's Internet
Providers in Alaska [11], AK is the 47th most connected state in the US
and there are approximately a dozen or so ISP's for the entire state.

Bobbie Sellers <bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com> wrote:

> The next meeting is on Monday January 15., 2018 from
> 6-8 PM.
> Try to Stay Dry!

FWIW, Monday January 15, 2018 is also Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, a
full Federal holiday [12]
Besides Staying Dry, perhaps we also should be *very* careful of keeping
ourselves healthy; in regards to the current flu outbreak! See at least
[13], [14], [15], and [16].

Stay Healthy!

-A