[sf-lug] (forw) Re: Problems with Ubuntu 17.10 (18.04) using kernels before 4.13.0-21

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Dec 24 16:31:50 PST 2017

I wrote:

> It prevents any autoloading of the module resulting from the hardware
> autorecognition process.  That's what the blacklist keyword means.

Well, almost any.  I provided a link to the always-useful Arch Linux
wiki (worth consulting totally without regard to what distribution you
run), and should have attended to the fine print:

   Note: The blacklist command will blacklist a module so that it will
   not be loaded automatically, but the module may be loaded if another
                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  non-blacklisted module depends on it or if it is loaded manually.
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  However, there is a workaround for this behaviour; the install command
  instructs modprobe to run a custom command instead of inserting the
  module in the kernel as normal, so you can force the module to always
  fail loading with:

  /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

  install module_name /bin/false

  This will effectively blacklist that module and any other that depends
  on it.

Page has a great deal more about the entire context of automatic module
commondity Linux systems) and how to control its operation.
Recommended.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/kernel_modules