[sf-lug] SF-LUG meeting notes for Monday 18, December 2018

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Tue Dec 19 09:20:39 PST 2017

Hi LUGers,

     Well the last meeting of 2017 was small but fairly active.

     I was unable to bring my newer Latitude E6520 along as suddenly
the Linux I had installed quite working.  On it's best efforts it would
boot to a point then fail to produce a working user account's Desktop
to interface with.  I could boot to a root desktop via rescue mode
but that  did not help me fix the user account.

     So I showed up with plenty of disks and my Dell E6420n about
5:30 PM having left early just to get out of the house as I had
spent hours trying to fix the E6520.
     When I arrived Tom was still setting up his machine.

     I was able to give Tom some distribution DVDs to try out at
home but he was busy catching up with updates and some other
work as he has no Internet connection at home.  He told me that
someone at the SFPL told him not to use his surge protector as
they were not allowed to be used there.  I did not know that
but then only tried a couple of time to use a Library connection
to get anything done.  No luck then with connection as the machine
turned out not have a WiFi card.

     I got mine set up and went online with few problems

     6 PM Maestro showed up.

     A few minutes later Jackie B. came in.  Jackie and I spent
most of the time working on her laptop, a Toshiba with Ubuntu
12.10 or maybe 12.04 installed.  I managed to get into the
BIOS but still could not get it to boot up from DVD.  Well
this involved a lot of rebooting and testing.  This is the worst
part of trying to get things working properly and the time
was just eaten up.   We tried to open a Ubuntu 16.04.03 disk
with the package manager but it was rejected as a source of
updates. until it was time to pack up my bag and leave.
     Jackie was kind enough to give me a ride home.
     Tom was pretty much packed up by 8 PM when Jackie
and I left.

     Well the next meeting is in 2018 on the 7th of January.
     You can expect to see the announcement around the
  1st of January 2018.
     Hope to see some of us there.

     Happy Holidays whichever you celebrate around the
Winter Solstice.  And a Happy and Prosperous New Year
in 2018.

     Bobbie Sellers