[sf-lug] SF-LUG meeting notes for Sunday December 3, 2017

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Wed Dec 6 22:36:08 PST 2017

Seriously *not* recommended.

Would you connect 600VAC line input to your 120VAC transformer primary?
Not a good idea, right?

Well, connecting 120VAC mains to 25VAC secondary is about the same
overvoltage ratio.  Oh, and power, for fixed impedance?
It's proportional to the *square* of the voltage.
So ... 5x the voltage, 25x the power.
So ... gee, maybe your 5W transformer nominally wastes 1W - 10%, at 0 load.
Up the voltage 5x, now it's wasting 25W at 0 output load,
and that's 5x it's maximum rated power.  You can likely kiss the
transformer bye-bye in relatively short order ... and likely your
fuse too.

Even if you don't destroy the transformer (e.g. very brief), one
may still damage it - the overvoltage on the windings may cause
internal shorts - leaving one with a bad transformer ... though some
of the signs and symptoms of that may not be immediately obvious
(e.g. performs highly poorly on a ring test, runs
hot/wasteful/inefficient, etc.).

But hey, nobody's required to follow what I say regarding what I do
and don't recommend.