[sf-lug] After waking from suspend, USB devices are not recognized (Ubuntu 17.10)

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Thu Nov 23 10:45:40 PST 2017

On 11/23/2017 10:28 AM, Michael Shiloh wrote:
> Interesting observation Akkana. In my case unplugging and plugging has no
> effect, but your suggestion of researching Lenovo power management is a
> great idea.
>
> Thanks,
> Michael
>
> On Thu, Nov 23, 2017 at 9:04 PM, Akkana Peck <akkana at shallowsky.com> wrote:
>
>> Michael Shiloh writes:
>>> I noticed that my old mouse didn't work all the time, and figured it was
>>> time to replace the mouse. Then I had trouble programming some Arduinos,
>>> and figured I had a bad Arduino. It wasn't until my system failed to see
>>> thumb drive that I finally realized the common element here: After waking
>>> from suspend, no devices plugged in to the USB ports are recognized.
>> [ ... ]
>>> $ lspci -nnk | grep -A2 USB
>>> 00:14.0 USB controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP USB 3.0
>>> xHCI Controller [8086:9d2f] (rev 21)
>>>      Subsystem: Lenovo Sunrise Point-LP USB 3.0 xHCI Controller
>> [17aa:2238]
>>
>> Don't know how much this will help, but I had weird sporadic
>> problems with an external mouse on my Lenovo X201. After suspend it
>> would (seemingly) randomly stop working. I finally narrowed it down:
>> When it was docked but running on battery power, and only after a
>> suspend, the machine would stop listening to the mouse after a
>> period of inactivity. Unplugging and replugging the mouse would fix it,
>> as would clicking a mouse button, but simply moving the mouse did
>> nothing. I think it's some kind of Lenovo power management cleverness
>> (not), and since I notice you're also on Lenovo, it might be related.
>>
>> I never did find a fix, so now I keep the X201 plugged in when it's
>> in the dock using the external mouse. Sounds like your problem is
>> worse, but knowing that Lenovo plays funky power management games
>> might help in searching for a solution.
>>
>>          ...Akkana

             I think the USB disconnect is a common phenomena as I
observe it here in the
case of my mouse and to a lesser degree the keyboard which are both
plugged into
a 3 port USB un-powered USB hub which is plugged into the computer. I
see this
most often with the mouse and find that unplugging it when it fails to
respond
and re-plugging it may restore function either immediately or after a
few moments.
I also have a mouse pad on the laptop's keyboard which remains usable.
This was observed on the Pavilion notebook as well as the Dell laptop.

             bliss