[sf-lug] shell quoting (was: sudo)

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Wed Nov 8 19:24:51 PST 2017

Various ways, but, e.g.:
shell variable / named parameter is set in the outer/surrounding
shell, then, minimally, something like this (but possibly a bit
hazardous):

sudo sh -c 'echo "'\''$ap_ip'\''  library library.lan rachel
rachel.lan" >> /etc/hosts'
But that could be potentially rather hazardous, depending upon what
ap_ip is set to.
Safer would be something more like:
sudo sh -c 'echo "'\''"$ap_ip"'\''  library library.lan rachel
rachel.lan" >> /etc/hosts'

Complete explanations left as an exercise.  :-)
Hints:
' - shields from shell (quotes) everything, until matching '
" - quotes, but subject to variable/parameter/command substitution (and
     perhaps a wee bit more, depending upon what shell)
\ - when not itself otherwise quoted, quotes just the immediately following
     character
'\'' within a pair of '' ends up as a literal ' - take that one character
      at a time parsing it through slowly to understand, e.g.:
      ''\''' - take it character by character to see what happens.
with variable/parameter substitution, if not otherwise quoted, "words"
are split at whitespace - sometimes that's exactly what one wants/needs,
most (but not all) of the time that's not something one wants.
And remember, "$@" is your friend (usually what one wants, among
$*, $@, and "$@", and for completeness, "$*").

Remember to take things layer-by-layer, figuring out what things "look"
like to the shell, and what it does with them, each time shell parses
such.  Use of +x and/or -v can also be useful/informative.