[sf-lug] Notes from the SF-LUG meeting of November 5, 2017

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Nov 5 20:50:18 PST 2017

Quoting Bobbie Sellers (bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com):

> Some machines may have problems with the USB and Flash Drives.

They indeed might, but far fewer than would have problems with optical
disks, which as you point out suffer drive alignment problems, and one
might also point out the problem of bad media and bad burns.  (Note that
ability to boot from USB has been built into BIOS ROMs since around 20
years ago.)

> the URL when I have enough time and energy to seriously consider the
> contents.  But I will point out that Ethernet switches and cables are
> not free of mass.

Again, if you are connecting only one machine, no switch is required.
Second, as an example, this $9 switch weighs 4.5 oz. and is 4" x 3" x 1.2":
https://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Unmanaged-GREENnet-Switching-TE100-S5/dp/B000M2TAN4

> Additionally some users will not care to connect to a machine exposed
> to malware.

But somehow it's OK for them to boot optical disks you've burned on that
_same_ machine that you characterise as 'exposed to malware' -- and
probably to connect to the global Internet in places like cafes?  That
makes no sense at all.

> There is the matter of time to consider as well as making a disk or
> even a bootable Flash Drive is time consuming.

Exactly!  Precisely my point.  Either netbooting or using a USB flash
drive eliminates all the time burning and using slow optical media.