[sf-lug] New Attack problems

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Mon Oct 16 09:31:03 PDT 2017

Hi LUGers,
     Bad News. October 16, 2017

     Note that this is an attack against WiFI.  So here connected to DSL
by Ethernet cable I am not much worried.  When we use WiFi at various
location we are in danger of the KRACK attack but we know these are
largely insecure but this will work on phones to decrypt data sent
over WiFi and acquire it.

The KRACK attack works on all modern protected WiFi networks against
both WPA1 and WPA2, and against cipher suites including WPA-TKIP,
AES-CCMP, and GCMP). The list of products affected by some variant of
attack includes Android, Linux, Apple, Windows, OpenBSD, MediaTek,
Linksys, and more.

While almost every supported device and OS is at the risk of being
attacked, it appears some operating systems could have far worse
consequences, namely, Android and Linux. The wpa_supplicant is the WiFi
client commonly used on Linux and Android (6.0 and above).

<https://fossbytes.com/krack-attack-android-and-linux-devices-are-easiest-to-
hack/>

Further information at the URL below:

<https://www.krackattacks.com/>