[sf-lug] SF-LUG meets Monday 16, October 2017

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Mon Oct 9 13:42:22 PDT 2017

Hi LUGers,

   SF-LUG meets every third Monday from 6 P.M. to 8 P.M.
and  every first Sunday from 11 A.M. to 1 P.M.
at the Cafe Enchante, 26th and Geary Boulevard.

     These meetings are usually lightly attended with a high for the
year so far of 7 members.   If you have a problem come along
and maybe we can help but if not we can usually find someone
who can.

     The latest Linux Pro magazine for October 2017 Issue 202 was
gotten on Wednesday October 4 at the Fog City News.
     Strange news is that Red Hat has discontinued use of the btrfs file
system.  Other distros are continuing its use.
     A short article on Endless Linux which is designed for people with
no or intermittent Internet access,
     MS SQL Server 2017 offers full support for Linux(some suggestion
that MS has moved from attempt to exterminate Linux to attempt
to assimilate Linux).
     Open Container Initiative has released OCI v1.0.0 run time and
image specifications.
     Zack's Kernel News takes up about 4 pages so no attempt to
summarize.
     Versatile Valet is a home assistant to interface with home automation
systems in Python.
     Bedtime Music with Raspberry Pi Zero.
     Internet of Things is trying to communicate with Adafruit IO API
     Artful Aardvark is a review of Ubuntu 17.10 with screen shots
comparing the new Gnome with the previous Unity.
     No Way with a cute doggy picture is really about Whonix, "Secure
Communication on the Internet for Privacy".  This downloads in
two files both running on a Virtual Machine.  This seemed worthwhile
so I have downloaded both files and if someone is slightly interested
I will be happy to have the files on media at the meeting so that
they can copy to their computer. Privacy is very important of course
to people who don't know it yet.  This is based in Debian and
runs KDE 4.14.2.
     Etckeeper aka File Keeper is designed to manage Global Configuration
and avoid accidental file deletion.

     In Depth has 3 main articles, Open Hardware Leads off with
Respecting Your Freedom with Refurbished Devices which is
mainly an introduction to the TechnolEthical company in Romania.
Which of course has many interesting products from laptops
to cell phones.

     Next up is Web Assembly "Classy New Build" subtitled
portable binary for browsers and that is several pages.

   Then we have the "Hot on the Tracks" which is discussing
AI use to determine patterns in driving behavior and make
forecasts.

         "On Time for All Time" discussing use of satellite
clocks for highly precise time-keeping at home.

     The final article in IN Dept this issue is much
further down the esoteric subjects list and discussed
Basic File Encryption.  it discusses your choice of
encryption took with examples.

     Then we have the LINUXVoice Section.  which starts
with an opinion piece "Inner Source Skeptic"  which
is about Open Source initiatives subverted by profit motive
as far as I can tell.
     SQL Server Comes to Linux is where I got the line
assimilate rather than exterminate.

     Micro Distros is a discussion with screen shots of the
the smaller and smallest Linux Distributions.  Tiny Core
leads off then Dam Small Linux but the champion
presently of very small is MuLinux which can be fit on
two floppy disks.   I know you don't have a machine
with floppies and neither do I but I have seen old
computers with installed floppies.
     FAQ Solus is just as it says the answers to frequently
asked question about the Solus distribution.

     Core Technology is about using certain tools to
figure out what threads are slowing down your
computer and what tools you might need to fix it.

     "MADDOG's Dog House" where he discusses
Selling FOSS solutions with some examples of what
he is talking about.

     FOSS Picks covers briefly
Filmulator, Pulse Effects, KeePassXC 2.2.0, and about
3 or more other programs.

     A Spark In the Cloud discusses use of the Apache
Spark Supercomputer to complete large processing
tasks by harnessing Amazon Web Services and some
other tools.

     A tutorial on using Ranger for lightening fast
File management.  I.e. using a terminal with
vi-like key bindings.  Several pages of discussion.

     If anyone wants a copy of the Knoppix 8.1 distribution please
let me know before the meeting so that I can have it ready for
the user.

     Hope to see some of us at the next meeting a week from
today,

     Bobbie Sellers