[sf-lug] SF-LUG meeting notes for October 1, 2017

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Wed Oct 4 18:55:59 PDT 2017

Hi LUGers,_

_    Well sorry about the lateness of these notes.
I sort of collapsed on Sunday after I took care of my chores at home.
Monday I had an eye exam with dilation which took me away from
the computer and Tuesday I had a lot of business that exhausted
me.
     I arrived at 10:35 AM and set-up the Dell.  No problems with getting
online.  Later on I found my Zorin 12.2 install had failed for some
reason.  Zorin is a fairly boring distribution, setup to allow former
MS Windows users to comfortably use Linux.  This is one of the
distribution that John S. could not get to boot on his HP.

     11:00 AM John S. arrived with an HP 6400N.  John tried several
distributions which I had on hand but had no luck getting them to
boot up.
     This is a common problem that DVDs made on one machine will
not boot on another with a different drive.

     Shortly after that Ken S. and his wife showed up.  Ken was very welcome
and highly knowledgeable about computers and OSes so that he was able
to discuss problems people were having.

     Michael B. showed up to read the latest magazines and exchange
information
with the other attendees.

     11:30 Aaron C. showed up with a laptop.  I gave him a copy of
Knoppix 8.1.
in two forms.  One was a DVD and the other was the full torrent download on
a USB Flash Drive.  Only change was the note I made as to doing the
checksum.

     12:35 Jim Stockford showed up.  To have a little snack and gossip/
     12:45 I started to pack up the equipment.  I left two old copies
of the Linux Pro magazine at the Cafe Enchante with contact information
for the LUG.
     Ken and his wife left during this period.

     1300+ Aaron, Michael and I walked back to Jim's car and he kindly
gave us
rides on our ways home.

     If any attending members have additions or correction to these notes
I hope they will do so ASAP so that my misperceptions will not pass into
lore.

     The next meeting will be on Monday, October 16, 2017 and I expect
to put
out the notice on 9 October.

     bliss
__