[sf-lug] box-drawing character mode switch.

Ken Shaffer kenshaffer80 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 2 21:15:44 PDT 2017

Yes, UTF-8 is the character encoding I'm using.  Prompt gets reset along
with the lower case letters, as seen below.
kshaf at leno:/tmp$ echo -e "\x1b(0"

┐⎽␤▒°@┌␊┼⎺:/├└⎻$ ▒␉␌␍␊°±␤␋┘┐┌└┼⎺⎻─⎼⎽├┤┴┬│≤≥

kshaf at leno:/tmp$ abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz

Also only makes sense with a fixed width font, like 8x16.  Pick something
like -schumacher-clean-bold-r-normal--16-160-75-75-c-80-iso64 and most of
the line drawing char output is blank.

Here's a little script to change fonts in an xterm (doens't do anything in
a gnome terminal).  Put it in your script directory, defaults to 8x16
without an explicit font (pick one from the xlsfonts output).
$ cat chfnt
MYFNT=${1-8x16}
echo -n -e "\033]50;$MYFNT\007"