[sf-lug] box-drawing character mode switch.

jim jim at well.com
Mon Oct 2 17:41:34 PDT 2017

   The escape sequence in s gnome terminal or xterm to
switch to the box characters is:
echo -e "\x1b(0"
and to turn back, the sequence
echo -e "\x1b(B"
or use the terminal tab/reset in the gnome terminal

     Sorry to say, I don't get it. I tried with the
result that my prompt also presented box characters
and copying and pasting  echo -e '\x1b(B"  appeared
in box characters with no affect to the prompt.

     I tried the internet  "Linux echo command box
characters" but did not get anything useful.
Is there on internet-accessible tutorial or table
of chars?

I've been using ASCII chars (0x1F), e.g.

  ______________
|              |
|              |
|              |