[sf-lug] SF-LUG meeting Sunday + a bit more

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Sep 28 14:18:02 PDT 2017

Quoting Bobbie Sellers (bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com):

[Qupzilla:]

>         No Rick, I have been using it on a daily basis.  Its
> primary virtue is size.
>      I am also using Palemoon frequently and Firefox 55.0.3
> (64-bit) on a daily basis and for all work that requires as much
> security as I can manage.  All three are loaded right now as try
> to finish other stuff so I can have time to amuse myself.
>     Using is obviously not testing but I take care of a lot of my
> entertainment, mostly manga, from Qupzilla and Palemoon.  As for
> memory I have 12 Gibibytes which should be enough if they get the
> sand-boxing version out before I can find the time to drop dead.

That's appreciated, thanks.

>     A lot of the Linux compatible browsers you mention are not available in
> the PCLinuxOS64 repositories though I am thinking of seeing if I can get
> Lynx from the said repositories.

PCLinuxOS is, as I'm sure you know, unusual among rpm-based
distributions in using the apt suite for package management.
My guess is that this is why there are (to my knowledge) no third-party
RPM repos for PCLinuxOS, as there are for Mandriva, Fedora, etc., etc.

However, what I hear is that you can (1) install kpackage, and then (2)
select and use rpms from third-party repos for Mandriva (which is rather
compatible on account of PCLinuxOS's history as a fork of Mandriva).

Worth trying, anyway.

Third-party repos are indexed by distro at:
http://rpm.pbone.net/
http://plf.zarb.org/
http://rpmlinux.org/

Discussion of the matter that starts out with the usual 'We officially
don't recommend this, but blah blah...'
http://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php?topic=130093.0

>     Well I like full featured stuff as well but will use as many
> browsers as the OS and the hardware can manage.  I do not care for
> Google Chrome and its Google dependence but I have it on the hard disk
> and if someone comes up with something that GC is good for or that
> only can be seen/heard with GC I might start it up despite my personal
> feelings.

I really don't know why people keep talking about the proprietary Google
Chrome browser but inevitably forget about _Chromium_, the open-source Web
browser of which Google Chrome is an odd and (IMO) generally less-desirable
variant.

I mean, I know why _MS-Windows_ people have this blindspot:  It's
because hardly anyone ever bothers to build good open source software
for that platform, so most such packages are perpetually obscure, and
because there's no infrastructure for vetted package repos.  However,
I don't understand why so many _Linux_ people share this blindness.
Maybe it's because of all the advertising dollars Google spends buying
mindshare for Chrome and ChromeOS.  But I'm disappointed that so many
Linux people can't see past that.