[sf-lug] [Opera & Vivaldi]

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Sep 21 15:37:40 PDT 2017

Quoting maestro (maestro415 at gmail.com):

> Any Opera (yes I know it's not fully open source)...

ITYM 'not open source'.

> ...and Vivaldi browser testers/users?

Also not open source.

FYI, I have a comprehensive list of all known Web browsers for Linux,
here:  http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/kicking.html#linuxbrowser
All of the proprietary browsers (Opera, Vivaldi, Slimboat, Slimjet,
SRWare Iron, Maxthon Cloud, and Google Chrome) are included.

Have fun.

> If you have decent knowledge in them will you please private mail me...

Ah, that's called 'consulting'.  I trust you expect to pay consulting
rates.  Otherwise, technical answers asked on mailing lists are
rightfully answered on the same public forum, so that the public can
benefit.

I would generally expect one to get less response when one asks about
proprietary codebases (unless you commission it as paid consulting work,
particularly if you don't state out-front that you know you're doing
this or if you use weasel-wording like 'not _fully_ open source'[1], but
I could be wrong.

Opera Software ASA is still an Oslo company, after all these years.
I just now learned that ASA is short for allmennaksjeselskap.  Easy for
me to say, right?  The 'allmenn' prefix is just what you think, meaning
everyone, i.e., public.  The 'aksjeselskap' divides into 'aksje' and
'selskap', meaning respectively 'equity' and 'party' (i.e., person
recognised by the law).  So, an 'aksjeselskap', abbreviated 'AS', is,
without the 'allmenn'=public prefix, understood to mean a limited
liability company, what in the USA would be an LLC.  An ASA (an
'allmennaksjeselskap') is, by contrast, a conventional public corporation.

That will serve as your norsk lesson -- and lesson on doing business in
Norway -- for the day.  Yr. welcome!  (Det var da så lite.)

[1] The Blink rendering engine is open source, but Opera Software ASA
don't run that project, and it's open source because it's a fork of
WebKit which is a fork of KDE's kHTML engine, i.e., Chromium Project
didn't _choose_ open source for Blink, but rather needed to either comply
with kHTML's licensing or write it from scratch.