[sf-lug] @lists.sf-lug.org? @sf-lug.org?

Daniel Gimpelevich daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us
Thu Sep 21 06:34:27 PDT 2017

To recap, the question of sf-lug at sf-lug.org vs. sf-lug at lists.sf-lug.org
persisted because at an SF-LUG meeting, Jim had stated he wished to
globally disallow the future possibility of user e-mail aliases such as
jim at sf-lug.org, and that if there were a separately defined
lists.sf-lug.org, there would be undesirable duplication such as
webmaster at lists.sf-lug.org on top of webmaster at sf-lug.org.

However, he is usually open to arguments to the contrary, such as when
he (possibly at that same meeting) said that the canonical domain for
the website, and by extension, the list, should specifically be
sf-lug.com instead of sf-lug.org, apparently later reversing that
decision. At that time, the migration to joker.com was still on his
to-do list and a blocker for MTA changes.

The obvious remaining argument against sf-lug at sf-lug.org is that there
is no clear future migration path for list archive URL's should the
list, and by extension, its archive, ever actually move.

It seems I somehow missed responding to this message when it was sent:
http://linuxmafia.com/pipermail/sf-lug/2016q1/011633.html
Isn't it prudent to ask why going down the rabbit hole of a separate
DocumentRoot for lists.sf-lug.org needs to be undertaken _in the same
step_ as migrating the MTA, since in the interim, it could easily just
point to linuxmafia.com's the way sf-lug.linuxmafia.com was made to
point in the opposite direction? Is there a real danger of crawlers
attempting addresses such as http://foo.sf-lug.org/~rick?