[sf-lug] Monday 18 September 2017 notes from the SF-LUG meeting

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Tue Sep 19 22:00:56 PDT 2017

Hi LUGers,

     Hope all are well.

     So I got to the Cafe Enchante about 5:35 PM and setup at the large
table.

     I brought along the Dell E6420 and when I booted up decided to try
the Manjaro boot from EFI

which was a listed method in the F12 enabled Dell boot menu.  Just on a
whim, because after all

I had spent a lot of time installing it and from the EFI, it booted up
cleanly.  I don't understand

why Grub2 cannot offer a usable menu option.

     So about 6 PM Maestro showed up and he was having a cabling problem
with an external

USB drive.

     Right about the time I got the Manjaro booted up Daniel G. came in
to have someone

with respectable credentials available to the people with problems.

     Then Aaron C, showed up with his Dual-Boot Apple G4 Power Book.  As
well as the

latest MacOS the G4 can run he has installed Debian on the little beast
but without

a DE, he is working in a terminal, which being at a far higher skill
level than your

writer is not an imposition for him.  I sat next to him for a few
minutes to find

out what he was doing.  Maestro has promised to send him the URL for a
driver

site for the graphics and maybe the WiFi.  I believe Daniel G. offered some

assistance to both Maestro and to Aaron C.

     I don't know if Aaron knew already about the story I had to tell
about how

Apple Inc. first hogged the PPC output and only left lower end chips for
the

open market then shut down the production when they switched to Intel x86.

     Lots of commercial and professional computer users, entrepreneurs and

coders lost by their behavior.  Some were building Mac-clones machines

under license and good old Steve the visionary could not see their
relevance

to the Apple Ecology so with the loss of their licenses, their whole market

was taken away.  Other equipment had been designed to use the PPC as

well and these folks were also losers by Steve.

     I managed using my elite skills to provide Maestro with an
up-to-date copy of

System RescueCD 5.1 (I swapped out the copy he had dropped on the table with

the later version.)  The skill is taking advantage of misdirection. I
used to force

distributors of evangelical Christian pamphlets to take my little
notices of

COYOTE(prostitution law reform) Events and miss getting their pamphlets.

     Meanwhile back on Manjaro 17.08 stable with KDE Plasma 5

I managed in my clumsy way to find a network management tool

that let me get on line.  Then after I checked several other functions

I synchronized my install with the Manjaro server per the advice of

Maestro.   So this is a pretty a very capable and just behind the

up-to-date label with LibreOffice needing an update. I tested the

VLC supplied and it was happy with my .mkv files,and my old wav files.

I installed a later kernel (Manjaro has a special tool for this) and

rebooted after I had already downloaded and installed a couple of

games as well as KWrite and Kate.  The package manager is called

Octupi and it has a tool called Octupi Cache cleaner which wipes the used

rpm files from the disk.   If I wasn't so attached to my PCLinuxOS64 use

I could consider this for my production tool. It comes with a lot of the

stuff I use or try to use.

     So I hope all the people who did not show up are OK

     Participants of the meeting are welcome to make any corrections or

additions to these notes regarding the meeting. Sorry I went afield

for the Apple anecdote.

     We started packing up about 7:45 PM and by 8 PM I was

waiting at the bus stop for the #38.

     The next meeting will be on Sunday October 1, 2017

     Hope some folks stop by but i think we need to think of outreach

methods to pull in CS students and others interested in learning

about how easy it is to use Linux.

     Have a Happy Autumnal Equinox this Friday 22 September.

     Don't forget to shop for Halloween necessities whatever you

might consider.

     Oh and if you think you need a 17 inch notebook to watch movies

on you should put up a note to Aaron as Mikki seems to have decided

to pass on that dual core machine.  This is not going to be the box that

breaks the bank by the way.  Tell Aaron about your own or your

child's desperate need for the big box.

     Bobbie Sellers