[sf-lug] Elise's Request for Linux Install

acohen36 acohen36 at SDF.ORG
Thu Aug 24 09:21:26 PDT 2017

Elise's Request for Linux Install
Was formerly 'Elise's request in sf-lug Digest, Vol 301, Issue 1'

Quoting Elise Scher <elise.scher01 at gmail.com> :

> I would love to install some flavor of linux on a cheap laptop
> I have. But I sure could use some help.

In addition to the advice and questions from others, I'd request that
Elise S seriously consider obtaining and bringing along several sticks of
good USB 2.0 thumbdrives. The specific reason for using these are that
such USB 2.0 sticks are _still_ the Lowest Common Denominator of bootable
media. Even netbooks -- which nearly always do _not_ have optical drives
-- will have _at least_ two version 2.0 or higher USB ports.  You can
still easily find discounted 16 GB USB 2.x sticks at your local office
supplies store (e.g., Office Max/Depot, Staples, ...etc), at
Walgreens/Walmart, at many other brick-and-mortar retailers, and of course
online.

I'm fairly certain that Bobbie S or someone else at the next SF-LUG
meeting will be able to copy or bring alone downloaded ISO image files of
Linux distros and subsequently "burn" such bootable images to one or more
of these USB sticks.

Quoting Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>:

> > Does your cheap laptop have an OS already installed?
> > Do you have previous experience with Linux?

> Or maybe Elise could tell the mailing list, so others can help.

Just as my own humble suggestion in addition to Rick M's, would you (Elise
S) _also_ please put a more specific subject header/title other than
'sf-lug Digest, Vol 301, Issue 1' in your email posts? An example of this
might be something like mine here, or a little bit better yet, 'Requesting
help at meeting to install linux on cheap laptop'.

Just as my own humble suggestion in addition to Rick M's, would you (Elise
S) _also_ please put a more specific subject header/title other than
'sf-lug Digest, Vol 301, Issue 1' in your email posts? An example of this
might be something like mine here, or a little bit better yet, 'Requesting
help at meeting to install linux on cheap laptop'.

I myself think using a more specific title makes it much easier figure out
what you are really interested in from just a quick glance at the
email-list's organized listings. FWIW, Rick M and Eric S Raymond/ESR offer
more comprehensive reasons for this suggestion in the section 'Use
meaningful, specific subject headers' (
http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Essays/smart-questions.html#bespecific ) within
their excellent co-authored article 'How To Ask Questions the Smart Way'.

Thanks,
-A

acohen36 at sdf.org
SDF Public Access UNIX System - http://sdf.org