[sf-lug] A problem of spacing with terminal

acohen36 acohen36 at SDF.ORG
Wed Aug 16 08:43:45 PDT 2017

Quoting Alex Kleider <akleider at sonic.net>:

> I don't know what a 'DE' is but will assume it's your
> graphical user interface.
> ALT/F7 will get you back.

While 'DE' *is* the two-letter abbreviation for the U.S. state of DElaware
and for DEutschland as the nation of Germany (e.g., the top-level domain
name/TLD at the end of https://ftp.fau.de), in this case, 'DE' stands for
a Desktop Environment.

Quoting Michael Paoli <Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu>:

> /dev/tty5 (Ctrl+Alt+F5), and /dev/tty7 (Ctrl+Alt+F7)
> are most common for X11 among what I've seen for various
> Linux distributions and versions thereof.

FWIW, I must have highly unusual installations then of several flavors of
Debian and Linux Mint with the DE's XFCE and LXDE, because once I'm
switched over to one of the terminal-only virtual consoles, e.g.,
/dev/tty2, then I must use /dev/tty8 (Ctrl+Alt+F8) or even /dev/tty9
(Ctrl+Alt+F9) to reach X11 on _all_ of these installations :-\

-A

acohen36 at sdf.org
SDF Public Access UNIX System - http://sdf.org