[sf-lug] two-page treatise :-) ... mailing list migration ...

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Wed Aug 2 20:41:33 PDT 2017

> From: "Rick Moen" <rick at linuxmafia.com>
> Subject: Re: [sf-lug] NEED INFO ABOUT BOOT SECTOR, SPACE LIMITS
> Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2017 10:21:25 -0700

> That's my rough understanding.  If we're lucky, Michael P. will bestow a
> learned two-page treatise on the subject.  ;->  (I suspect he might have
> been up late migrating BALUG's mailing lists.)

Why a two-page treatise, when a mere two lines quoted from manual
page will suffice?  :-)  (okay, so I may augment it a *wee* bit).

> From: "Michael Paoli" <Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu>
> Subject: Re: ENVVAR1=set_it_to [...] command [args ...]; rc, ...
> Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2017 20:13:21 -0700

>            1.   Leading words of the form ``name=value'' are stripped off and
>                 assigned to the environment of the simple command.

And the list migration went well, quickly, and smoothly.
As if often the case >>95% of it is in the preparation, planing,
testing in advance, etc.  Actually migration was *well* under 2
hours, probably less than an hour.  Probably could've done things
to even cut that time way down - but that would've been overkill,
and would've taken yet more prep time (not worth it for an operation
that's only to be done thrice, and is quite low impact for modest
bit of downtime anyway).
By the time I get to the BALUG-Announce list, that takes wee bit
more time - but that's mostly machine* time, not *my* time.  :-)
*mostly waiting on I/O ... bandwidth ... scraping data from, and
writing data to, in excess of 800 web pages (for individual members'
preferences).