[sf-lug] NEED INFO ABOUT BOOT SECTOR, SPACE LIMITS

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Aug 1 19:53:55 PDT 2017

> In my reading of the post, he made two recommendations with the obvious
> combined purpose of avoiding breakage:
> 1) Don't use apt-get upgrade. Instead, use apt-get dist-upgrade, or to
> avoid confusion between the two, Synaptic.
> 2) Whichever you do, do it frequently, because changes in dependencies
> are not guaranteed to be backward-compatible for more than a couple of
> months.

Good advice generally, #1 making sense _if_ you assume those users
aren't going to bother understanding the difference between upgrade and
dist-upgrade, which of course would be true of some people and not
others.

That having been said, unless there's something very weird about
PCLinuxOS that I haven't heard about, the assumption that apt-get
upgrade tends to lead to breakage sounds doubtful, but anyway, I'm sure
Texstar has his reasons.

Personally, I recommend (for familiar deb-based distributions)
traditional usage models of apt-get, because it's time-proven, fast,
light, scriptable, very intelligent and deterministic in its effects,
and works on any deb-based system[1] with or without X11 let alone gtk
and a gaggle of other support libraries.

[1] Initial port of the apt toolset to rpm was by the founder of the
Conectiva distribution in Brazil.  Connectiva merged with Linux-Mandrake
to create Mandriva.  I lost track of the rpm port after that.  Might be
the same one, might not be.