[sf-lug] NEED INFO ABOUT BOOT SECTOR, SPACE LIMITS

Daniel Gimpelevich daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us
Tue Aug 1 17:46:07 PDT 2017

On Tue, 2017-08-01 at 17:08 -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> As as aside, Texstar did _not_ say anything in particular would break
> his distro.  He deprecated 'apt-get update and apt-get upgrade',
> recommended the Synaptic front-end to apt-get, and said if people
> _did_
> want to use apt-get they should do 'apt-get update and apt-get
> dist-upgrade'.  Please note the difference between the two command
> strings.

In my reading of the post, he made two recommendations with the obvious
combined purpose of avoiding breakage:
1) Don't use apt-get upgrade. Instead, use apt-get dist-upgrade, or to
avoid confusion between the two, Synaptic.
2) Whichever you do, do it frequently, because changes in dependencies
are not guaranteed to be backward-compatible for more than a couple of
months.