[sf-lug] NEED INFO ABOUT BOOT SECTOR, SPACE LIMITS

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Aug 1 10:08:22 PDT 2017

Quoting Alex Kleider (akleider at sonic.net):

> Yes, the output is very difficult to read and even with the widest
> window possible on my laptop, all the lines ran over so I came up
> with the following little script that might be of use to others.

That's a nice little Python script.  But, are you sure you need it?,
On every apt/dpkg-based system I've used, it's sufficient to just make
sure your terminal is at least 80 columns wide, and then 'dkpg -l |
less' displays quite legibly.

If you want to force 'dpkg -l' to take terminal width into account, use
local shell variable COLUMNS.  Otherwise, 'dpkg -l' will use column
sizes based on the longest fields; thus the output may be wider than the
terminal.

COLUMNS=$COLUMNS dpkg -l | less