[sf-lug] SF-LUG meeting notes for Monday July 17, 2017

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Mon Jul 17 21:09:27 PDT 2017

Hi LUGers,

     It was a small but lively event.

     Arrived at the Cafe Enchante ~5:45 pm.

     Maestro had preceded me and claimed the large table.
     I set up the Dell E6420 without problems and proceeded to get
myself a drink from the counter,   and noted that Mikki had arrived as
I turned around.  She had not spotted me and my greeting confused
her a bit.

     But between Ken and myself the initial problems she had were
resolved.   Now she has the problem that she has a new SATA enclosure
but no drive and wants to boot from an external drive. She may use
another IDE external drive to replace the hard drive in her tiny PCeee
Asus computer.
     About 6:15 PM Aaron showed up.

     I was running DebianEdu 9 on the Dell and remembered I was not
connected so I stopped and configured that.  It went pretty fast after
I remembered to switch the WiFi on.

     Mikki had problems with wireless configuration and Maestro
attempted to help her but found it difficult to work with her.

     I managed to help Mikki with the wireless problem  which
I have to say was easier than getting Debian connected then
proceeded to show her how to use GPartEd and how to search
for a new 2.5 inch hard drive on the computer.

     Mikki decided once more to buy Aaron's old 17 inch notebook
  computer. and she will be getting it about August 21.

     I booted up PCLinuxOS 64 to check something and discovered
that Firefox had been replaced by Google's Chrome and I don't
care to use Google for very much.   That was after I found out
that I had trashed somehow my Mageia 6 installation.   In case
you had not heard  Chrome will not work without Google.

     7:30 PM Jim Stockford showed up to the cheers of the company,
     8 PM plus we packed up and left for the evening.  Jim gave me
a ride back to my apartment house on Post,

     So the next meeting will be on Sunday August 6, so my regular
announcement of that will be about July 31.

     Hope to see some more of you guys in August.

         Bobbie Sellers aka   bliss "running light (as well as fast)" on
PCLinuxOS64-2016.03 GNU/Linux 4.11.10-pclos1 #1 SMP Thu Jul 13