[sf-lug] SF-LUG meeting notes

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Tue Jun 20 07:54:32 PDT 2017

Hi LUGers.

     After an afternoon filled with the very bluest of air I was very
happy to leave for the meeting.  You can find out why the air
was so very blue in the  **paragraph.

     1649 left for the SF-LUG meeting.
     Arrived at the Cafe Enchante about 5:35 PM.
     Proceeded to set up without real problems.
     Approximately 6 PM Maestro showed up.   He is having problems
getting the proper libraries for his installation of GCC+ which I believe
he found by the end of the meeting but if he did not find those then
I am sure he will be happy to tell us all about it.

     6:15 PM  Jackie arrived she is having problems lately with several
matters.   One such problem was that she had lately been unable
to play Facebook videos and I guided her to find the solution to
that problem,  Then I showed her how to edit the search engines
that kept showing up on her Firefox installation, finally I showed
her how to enable to the use of Hoopla thru the SF Public Library.
     I learned a bit about Hoopla from that attempt and while
we had barely touched on her problems, about 06:20 Eric arrived,

     Eric has an ASUS netbook or mini-laptop,  It seems to have only one
USB port.   We were able to boot up using both Knoppix and PCLinux OS
but the internals may be over-simplified and the available tools have a
hard-time with the internal SSHD or Flash Drive as it hard to
distinguish between the two,   Debian was installed at some point
and the machine originally used Windows 10.  We were unable to install
to the SSHD or whatever it uses.

     After 6:30 PM Joseph showed up and we were all very happy
to see him since it had been months since we had.  He returned
several magazines borrowed some months back.  He also
explained, in response to Jackie's question how Noisebridge had
made him unwelcome by simply ignoring him standing outside a
locked door.

    Joseph and Maestro talked at some length.   They were still working
after Jackie and I got up to leave.  Jackie was kind enough to give
me a ride back to my front door.

**    And I had a problem too on both my notebook computers, the
HP Pavilion with only PCLinux0S64 had problems with Grub2.
I had spent hours with the good box on which I write in the
late morning and early afternoon producing only a lot of blue
air and rude noises.  You know that for me going to these meeting
  is like having a shot of adrenaline?  It took me until after 1 AM
but I successfully re-installed both PCLinuxOS64 and Grub2 with.
no data loss But it did not help me to get to sleep until after 3 AM.
The 675 updates took care of themselves while I tried to get
some shuteye.

     The next meeting at the Cafe Enchante will be on Sunday July 2,
2017.   I should have a notice on the mailing list about the 26th of June.
and Debian 9 in one or another form at the meeting.   I was thinking
of the Debian Edu/Skole linux 9 version just to explore.

     Hope any corrections and additions come fast.

     Bobbie Sellers

     P.S  As I was walking into my apartment a friend, Micheal B. came
into the building and we exchanged greeting and somehow the topic o
f his computer came to the fore.  I later went up to his place and
spent about an hour demonstrating PCLinuxOS64 on his Dell tower
with Vista which has become problematic and the upshot is that he
will be allowing me access to install on his machine.

     bliss "running light (as well as fast)" on PCLinuxOS64-2016.03
GNU/Linux 4.11.6-pclos1 #1 SMP Sat Jun 17