[sf-lug] "RANSOM VIRUS" ATACHED TO WEB SITE?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Jun 7 23:02:20 PDT 2017

Quoting Mikki (mikkimc at earthlink.net):

> I had just recently learned of Startpage, and it is called up after
> getting firefox.               ^^^^^^^^^`

Um, whoa, there.  Startpage?

I'm finding mention of a proprietary Firefox extension called 'Startpage
HTTPS Privacy Search Engine'

   Add Startpage - The World's Most Private Search Engine - to your
   search box.

So, I'm guessing you have been adding at least this if not also other
software from who-knows-where that was not packaged by your Linux
distribution (Ubuntu).  When you install software from dubious sources,
you end up doing so with root authority (using sudo, on Ubuntu), so you
really have absolutely no idea, and no control over, what that software
does.  This is an incredibly bad idea, and among other things exposes
you to serious security threats.

You don't need clamav.  You need to be (a lot) more careful about basic
security (IMO).