[sf-lug] "RANSOM VIRUS" ATACHED TO WEB SITE?

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Wed Jun 7 21:21:45 PDT 2017

Ubuntu 16.04.2 isn't *that* old - I show it as released
on or around 2017-02-17
http://fridge.ubuntu.com/2017/02/17/ubuntu-16-04-2-lts-released/
... 64-bit? or 32-bit?

Curious also if I could replicate issue - fire same (16.04.2 with
no further updates/patches) up on
virtual machine, try the URL, etc.
I have some *buntu 16.04.2 ISOs, but I don't have
16.04.2 in Ubuntu flavor.  Maybe time for me to do a 'lil
zsync to get that version of ISO.

Oh, also, I tried the phone number - from a pay phone around 9:01 P.M. PDT.
I gave up waiting after the 10th ring.  I also noticed in calling,
sounded like it may first connect somewhere, then forward that by dialing
yet another number - sounded like fairly faint rapid DTMF dailing from
some automated forwarding almost immediately after the initial dialing.
Anyway, very possible the toll-free provider is just another compromised
victim hop along they way that's stuck paying for inbound and outbound
calls along they way - and adding another layer of obfuscation along the
way.  Might be possible, if someone has the right equipment, to pick up
and decode those DTMF tones - they're fairly faint and quick, but proper
equipment may suffice ... might be useful if that's actually part of
some automatic forwarding going on - might also just have been
coincidental line interference/timing - I've not repeated the experiment.

> From: Mikki <mikkimc at earthlink.net>
> Subject: Re: [sf-lug] "RANSOM VIRUS"  ATACHED TO WEB SITE?
> Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2017 20:46:03 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

Hi, All

It is the Ubunto 16.4-2 distro, loaded and received 2017-04.  The
machine is the Asus 1000 eee.  I have no Window or wine sites on the
machine.  I had just recently learned of Startpage, and it is called
up after getting firefox.  The machine was and is on ethernet,
hardwired.  I am a gui user, and will be having difficulty using
terminal.  Bobbie suggested clam-av as an antivirus antidote.  I am
still looking for it.

The website was :

\"ROAST PORK LOIN - HELPFUL COOKING TIPS & TRICKS -
PORKBEINSPIRED.COM?\"

The screen definitely was frozen, the computer also.  I had to force
the machine to turn off.  And the threat was real.  All the files of
folders :   /desktop/ and /desktop/documents were erased.  I retrieved
a backup copy of the older /Documents.

Dinner /WAS/ at 7:30, adequate and delicious.  But I used the pot
roast method.  Sorry about that.

Bless All

Mikki