[sf-lug] "RANSOM VIRUS" ATACHED TO WEB SITE?

Mikki mikkimc at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 7 17:22:18 PDT 2017

HI, ALL;

Today early I started the computer, moved immediately to Firefox, started Startpage, and typed in :  "pork loin roast."  I selected the item at the top of the list, and immediately got a frozen screen and computer, with vocal over-ride saying that this was a program that froze my computer, 'because someone had illegally used my isp and such to access a site of viruses."  The screen box said that I could get the computer unfrozen by calling a certain number (1-866-217-8944.)

I called the number of a friend who is more versed in computers than I, and he said it was the ransom virus common in Europe, but seemed rare in US,and on Linux distros.  I have Ubuntu 16 on my notebook.  I asked him to call Bobbie and sak her to call me, when he got back home.

I then called the number given in the site, and they said they could unfreeze my computer for $199.  I declined, and disconnected the computer from the internet ethernet cable, and turned the machine off with the manual button.

Bobbie called a while later, and said that there is a filecalled clam.av, or clamav, or something like that which I haven't yet found, which searches and deletes Windows type viruses.

When I re-actvated the machine, most of what I had on the desktop and in the document file, (on the Desktop) were gone.  Fortunately, I frequently back up to an external hard drive, so it has not been a total disaster.

I called the FBI 1-415-553-7400, ignored the website for internet crime, and reported it several selections later.  The agent or clerk said that this is becoming quite a problem, and that I had handled it correctly, not paying and de  -activating my machine.  They will investigate the number I was given.

I have since retrieved the older Desktop/documents file, and recovered the needed fines for rebuilding the files i could.

Bless All

Mikki