[sf-lug] server reboot

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat Dec 31 12:04:40 PST 2016

Quoting Alex Kleider (akleider at sonic.net):

> I've been playing around with a Raspberry Pi as a server on my local
> network.
>
> It's headless and I use ssh to log on.
>
> When ever I want to do a reboot (# shutdown -r now), rather than the
> connection being lost and my local prompt appearing (as happens when
> I do an 'exit,') my terminal window simply freezes and I have to
> close it forcibly and open another.
>
> This doesn't seem to me to be the way it should be done.
> Has any one any suggestions as to the 'right way'?

Press in sequence:

   Enter ~ .

There's a whole set of these 'escape sequences' built into OpenSSH
(into /usr/bin/ssh, I _think_).  To see the full list while you have a
/usr/bin/ssh session running , press

   Enter ~ ?

You should see:

  Supported escape sequences:
    ~.  - terminate connection (and any multiplexed sessions)
    ~B  - send a BREAK to the remote system
    ~C  - open a command line
    ~R  - Request rekey (SSH protocol 2 only)
    ~^Z - suspend ssh
    ~#  - list forwarded connections
    ~&  - background ssh (when waiting for connections to terminate)
    ~?  - this message
    ~~  - send the escape character by typing it twice
  (Note that escapes are only recognized immediately after newline.)

Have fun with your Pi.