[sf-lug] Any experience with DreamPlug?

Alex Kleider akleider at sonic.net
Tue Dec 27 16:46:57 PST 2016

On 2016-12-27 15:36, Ehud Kaldor wrote:
> I gave a DreamPlug I managed to brick (I can get to the u-boot Marvell>
> prompt), and I'm looking for
> 1. A good procedure in how to upgrade the u-boot
> 2. A good u-boot to upgrade the default one I have on

I've had a lot of experience with DreamPlug (and have upgraded the
U-boot a time or two) but none recently (and my memory for details is
not good.)

...but I do try to keep copious notes which I'd be happy to share with
you if you like.

Also: it's easy to open the device, scrape away the glue, and then
remove the 4G micro sd card and replace it with a higher capacity one.

There have been several different versions of the Dreamplug each
configured in it's own way so that bears keeping in mind.

Unless your use case specifically requires two ethernet ports, I suggest
you would do better using a Raspberry Pie: much more support- the
Dreamplug is an orphaned project and never was very well supported.  It
uses an old kernel (2.7 vintage if I remember correctly) and this can
not be upgraded (or at least I was unable to do so and maintain the
functionality I needed.)

Alex