[sf-lug] SF-LUG meeting Monday 19 December 2016

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Mon Dec 12 12:30:07 PST 2016

Hi LUGers,

   SF-LUG meets every third Monday from 6 P.M. to 8 P.M.
and  every first Sunday from 11 A.M. to 1 P.M.
at the Cafe Enchante, 26th and Geary Boulevard.

     These meetings are usually lightly attended with a high for the
year so far of 7 members.   If you have a problem come along
and maybe we can help but if not we can usually find someone
who can.

   Well I bought the well-known Fedora to the last meeting
in version 25 and had installed the Workstation with Gnome 3
to the Dell E-6420 but my experience with this so-called
workstation was very frustrating from the Anaconda installer
to the Software package manager.
     So on Monday I wiped it.
     The new install of Mageia 5.1 to the same partitions is
finishing up as I type on December 5

     If you want Fedora 25 I have both the Workstation disk
and a couple of other versions with KDE in i586 and x86_64.
Let me know if you are interested.  Supposedly this is
using the new Wayland interface by the way.

     December 7 I was able to get a copy of Linux Pro.
Most of the news I saw was a little out of date
but the articles look good:
GeoTagging adding location data to the photos.
     PowerShell can it replace BASH?
Linux Voice a small independent magazine has been
     incorporated into Linux Pro.
GNU Social an open source Social Networking software.
     Gimp on Neural Networks
     Linux Voice has a lead article on Vim 8
and much much more.

     The Distributions of the Month are Arch_Linux 2016.09
and Chapeau 24 which is based on Fedora 24 in case you did not
know.  It has additional drivers and programs compared to
Fedora 24.
I am making an iso of the Arch Linux as I write and will
make the same for the Chapeau 24.  Will make at least one
copy of each to try out.
     As it turned out my computer could not read the magazine
disk on either side so I have downloaded a later iso file
for archlinux-2016.12.01-dual architecture and about 8 hours
later am downloading Chapeau 24.
     December 8 have gotten both iso files downloaded and
check-summed. I expect to have a disk of each at the meeting.
By the way the Dell e6420 was able to read and make iso files
  from both sides of the Linux Pro disk though
     If anyone wants copies of any disks mentioned left me know.
     Arch of course is a minimalist Linux with a package manager
that lets you assemble just the bits and pieces that you need
for your particular use.
     Chapeau 24 is based on Fedora 24 but has a lot more
programs and slightly more advanced programs than
the main Fedora 25 comes with. Otherwise it uses the
desktop environment, Gnome 3.20 which I find lacking.

     Hope to see a few of you all next Monday!

     Happy Holidays

     Bobbie Sellers