[sf-lug] Notes of the SF-LUG meeting on 2016-12-04 at Cafe Enchante..

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Mon Dec 5 17:21:10 PST 2016

Hi LUGers,
     Well last Sunday I go to the Cafe Enchante at about
10:35 and started to setup the Dell laptop and the rest of
the impedimenta of for the meeting,   There was no real
problem with the Hardware and I booted into my formerly
installed copy of Fedora 25.  I got it connected to the WiFi
pretty quickly.

     Aaron showed up at 11:05 and I was able to deliver a copy
of Knoppix 7.7.1 to him.  He was looking for John S. as he
owes John another $10 on the netbook he bought from him.

     11:15 Mike showed up with no Linux problems so he, I and
Aaron chatted a bit.  Aaron and Mike discussed Slackware
installation and repositories.

     Mike left about 12:30 PM.

     11:20 Ken S. and his wife showed up and he truly had
No Linux Problems... So he joined the discussion,
He and I briefly discussed a hardware project but he was
sensibly unwilling to enter the morass of interface problems
we might encounter.

     In the meantime I tried to get the Fedora 25 to show me
a useful tool to watch .mkv video files but that quest seemed
impossible plus I really dislike the interface that the Gnome 3+
desktop environment presents.  The older version of Gnome
were more usable in my opinion but I did not care for them
as much as I did for KDE.

     12:37 PM Jim S. showed up in time to have a snack and trade
some talk with others.  Then at  1 PM or thereabouts after he
fetched his Honda from 31st Avenue he gave me a ride home
and Aaron a ride onward from there.

     If I missed anything substantive I am sure Aaron, Ken or Mike
will shortly provide corrections to the bad ideas I may have
interjected in these note,

     Mageia 5.1 is out for common architectures and with 3 desktop
environments on install.  If anyone wants to see it in Gnome
let me know.  Otherwise I will bring the KDE installation only
and Live DVDs to the next meeting.  5.1 is merely a lot of the
updates in the past year and if you have it installed and updated
you will not need these disks.

     The next meeting will be on Monday 19 December 2016
at the Cafe Enchante between 6 and 8 PM.  You should see
a regular announcement about it on Monday 12 December.

     Thanks for your attention.

     Bobbie Sellers