[sf-lug] Report on SF-LUG meeting of Sunday November 6, 2016

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Mon Nov 7 11:46:58 PST 2016

         SF-LUG meeting of Sunday. 6 November 2016

   10:30 AM I arrived at the Cafe and began to
setup the Dell notebook. No real problems
with the setup.  I used the large table with
the bench and two chairs.

   10:40 PM John S showed up with the laptop
he had for sale.  The display was about 12
inches and it had 2 gigibytes of memory
and an 80 gibibyte hard disk,  He had installed
a Puppy based Slacko Linux on the machine.
  I gave him the new 4MLinux to try out.  He
was satisfied and downloaded Firefox to test
connectivity.  He was surprised I had gotten
to the meeting earlier than himself.

   Maestro was in next looking for 32-bit
distributions on bootable disks as he is planning
an install fest.  32 bit distributions are
getting a bit thin on the ground but we still
have some choices.  Later in the meeting he
was trying to burn an optical disk but apparently
he had started a bit late.

   Joseph P. showed up with a copy of Linux
Pro he had borrowed some time back and an interest
in talking to other like-minded folks.

   Rick M. showed up next to pick up the laptop
that John S. had brought.  He talked to the
other folks most of the time. And he looked
closely at one Linux Pro magazine, the issue
with the article on the history of the file systems.
  But he discussed his past history with the
hardware and how his exacting standards
had forced him into a job, which while a
promotion, took him out of a more congenial
working situation.
     That is not the only thing he talked about but that
is what i heard as he commented on the precursors
of the notebook he was getting from John S.

   11:20 AM The Shaffers were in and I showed off
the PCLOS Baby Mate distribution to him,  this
is a 32 bit version which resembles slightly
the old Amiga interface.  Since starting to
use this I have been disappointed and the
recent updates have messed up my installation.
But I was able to book up the live CD and
Ken seemed to enjoy looking at it.

    I also tried to book up the Caine 8.0 distribution
but it could not give me a graphic screen.  I may
try to install it if I can get past that issue
just for demonstration to the group.

   12 Noon + Jim S. showed up despite being under
the weather.  I gave him Shari M.'s present to him
in appreciation of helping to set up her system.
Later in view of Rick's recommendation he
took the Linux Pro magazine with the file system
article home to read.

     12:25 PM Shari M. showed up after a hour of
trying to find a parking place.
   One surprise was that Shari and Rick were in
the past co-workers.  So they had some catching
up to do.

   After some of the catching up was out of the
way I gave her my old Mandriva manual which can
help her with PCLinuxOS to a degree.  She also
had a specific question relating to a kernel
update which displaced her favored (in use) OS
from the default boot list,  I demonstrated to
her the use of grub-customizer and had to
demonstrate the use of Synaptic to re-install
that program when it proved non-responsive
in my root terminal.

   1 PM we pulled our equipment together and
left.  Some us including the writer got a
ride with Jim S. to our destinations.

     So as always I welcome corrections and
emendations to the report to be submitted
asap so that the readers are not left with a
incorrection impression.

     The next meeting will be on Monday,
  November 21 at the Cafe Enchante.  You
can expect my usual announcement