[sf-lug] SF-LUG meets on Monday October 17, 2016

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Mon Oct 10 14:23:52 PDT 2016

Hi LUGers,

   SF-LUG meets every third Monday from 6 P.M. to 8 P.M.
and every first Sunday from 11 A.M. to 1 P.M.
at the Cafe Enchante, 26th and Geary Boulevard.

     These meetings are usually lightly attended with a high for the
year so far of 7 members.   If you have a problem come along
and maybe we can help but if not we can usually find someone
who can.

   Come early to the meeting and you will have a easier time raising
your own agenda.

     If I manage to get a newer issue of Linux Pro before the meeting
time I will make an note on line.

     Right now seems to be a time when the developers are working
hard with not much time to release finished versions. Everything
these last weeks has been development releases.
     Sometimes as with Neon 5.8 the advertised feature of KDE's
Plasma 5.8 is actually a development release.  Plasma 5.8 is
failing to include all the promised features, much less plugging
the holes from the feature list of KDE's Plasma 4.14.18.
I could not believe the poor performance of Neon 5.8 from the
live disk so installed it to the Dell and it was worse. Discover
the package manager is unreliable and has limited access to
repositories.  Synaptic is far more reliable.

      If I have time and energy I may scrub it by the next meeting time.
     After a series of update to the PCLinuxOS 2007.07 it is
not functioning properly so one more distribution using KDE's
Plasma 5.7 to scrub.

     Well I will have all the usual distributions at the meeting
and if anyone wants anything special let me know in advance.

     I hope to see some of us at the meeting.
     Hope the Fall is treating you well.

     Bobbie Sellers