[sf-lug] An unpleasant experience

Sujit K M kmsujit at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 08:48:57 PDT 2016

On Fri, Sep 9, 2016 at 8:59 PM, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:
> Quoting Sujit K M (kmsujit at gmail.com):
>
>> On Fri, Sep 9, 2016 at 4:18 PM, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:
>> > Quoting Sujit K M (kmsujit at gmail.com):

>> > Feel free to tell _me_.  You linked to a claim about a developer
>> > preview from about a year ago.
>>
>> Developer Preview seems to be long way to go. If you look at
>> DoNotTrackMe add for firefox etc. It has been there since 2011. Below
>> link.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DoNotTrackMe.
>
> I'm afraid I don't understand.  The August 2015 article whose link you
> sent says:
>
>   'A brand new Developer version of Firefox has been released, and it
>   includes our first real look at Mozilla’s enhanced tracking protection
>   features. So far, it looks like a major change from the woefully
>   ineffective Do Not Track. [...]  In Mozilla’s defense, this is only a
>   rough draft. It’s only live in the Developer and Aurora builds of
>   Firefox, and it’s currently meant as an enhancement for the browser’s
>   private browsing mode.'
>
> So, the allegedly better-than-woefully-ineffective Do Not Track browser
> you believe to be of interest, from a year ago, was not a release
> version.  As I said.
>
> Moreover, the link you now provide to
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DoNotTrackMe has nothing to do with the
> Mozilla Developer and Aurora builds from August 2015.  That Wikipedia
> article concerns (yet another) proprietary Firefox & other browser
> extension from Abine.

DoNotTrack is a technology which has proposed in 2009. I see no reason
to see that The said article says anything about of DoNotTrack or that the
build given by mozilla in 2015 has anything other than a better technology
to the DoNotTrack Tech. Below Quoted from the article and key highlighted.

"A brand new Developer version of Firefox has been released, and it
includes our first real look at Mozilla’s enhanced tracking protection
features.
     ^^^^^

So far, it looks like a major change from the woefully ineffective Do
Not Track. The new tracking protection is so effective, in fact, that
if you fire it

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^        ^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 up on a website there’s a good chance that you’ll see it ad-free."

> You seem to have confused two different things.
>
> Moreover, anything that builds on Firefox's 'private browsing mode'
> doesn't sound all that promising to me, as that mode is extremely
> RAM-costly (lacking a Web cache) and prevents keeping of browser
> history, hence is impractical for general use.

I pity your understanding capability.

>> I guess both of us are devils. If you cannot provide input to others
>> questions you should
>> not reply.
>
> To the contrary; I considered your question unenlightening (because of
> questionable assumptions), and answered it in exactly the way I thought
> most informative to the general readership of this mailing list.  It's
> too bad if you _specifically_ don't like what I said, but I'm not your
> employee, so I follow my own agenda, not yours.

Why Unelightment when you have not even read the article I have given in the
initial mail.