[sf-lug] much can be said for ... for i in /usr/share/man/man*; do man $i/*; done

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Wed Aug 24 19:49:34 PDT 2016

Alex Kleider writes:
> ... but if (s)he thinks it would help others, in my view it sure beats what
> often appears as a postscript to some people's messages:
> -sent from my i[(phone)|(pad)...]
> which sickens me every time I see it.

I suppose it's better than a 20-line warning that this is sent from
a work email and everything therein is copyrighted and subject to
legal action.

My husband and I are on a mailing list where a lot of people used to
have that tagline, and to make fun of it he started appending his
own "Sent from" to every message. It started out as "Sent from
Debian wheezy" or "Sent from a Dell Mini 9" but now he adjusts it
for every message, like "Sent from just having returned from voting"
or "Sent from a state of confusion" or "Sent from a major hailstorm".

Some of the people got the point and I don't see a lot of "Sent from
iPhone", but there's still some -- I just checked recent messages
and someone had a "Sent from my iPhone 6" in reply to his "sent from
my phalanges." Oh, well.

With regard to documenting nifty shell tricks: when I come up with
a nice pipeline or regexp I often write it up for my blog, annotated
to explain why it works. I do that because I enjoy writing and I
like having a place to save neat tricks because I might want them
again some day ("my blog, my outboard brain", like Cory Doctorow
said). But the writing-up part typically takes an extra hour or two,
and I don't think it's reasonable to expect everyone to do that,
particularly people who don't enjoy writing.

        ...Akkana

Sent from Debian, mutt, vim and a chorus of cicadas