[sf-lug] misinformation [was: Re: https hack]

maestro maestro415 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 11:50:45 PDT 2016

michael paoli and asheesh laroia,
very well said and clarified and thank you...

i felt the article was 'off the rails' as well from the beginning...
thus my response in posting it of "hmmm."

thank you for confirming and yes michael, 'usually' i am the same
when reading something in a publication as soon as something written is
wrong,
i stop reading and don't waste the time or validate the 'author'.

if only more beings would do the same with publications (especially
technical)...

message ends.
________________

On Mon, Aug 22, 2016 at 9:11 PM, Asheesh Laroia <asheesh at sandstorm.io>
wrote:

> As a clarification here, the attack does expose URL paths e.g. /foo in
> https://example.com/foo (if I understand the attack correctly), whereas
> hostnames were already exposed due to SNI.
>
> HTTPS's protection of URL paths is important for HTTPS applications that
> use "capability URLs". Apps that use capability URLs include:
>
> - Dropbox
>
> - Google Docs
>
> - Etherpad
>
> - Sandstorm
>
> - Any app that uses password reset links
>
> - GitHub in "gists"
>
> and so forth.
>
> As for the rest of your comment, Michael:
>
> On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 12:06 AM, Michael Paoli <
> Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu> wrote:
>
>> I've certainly got to agree with others, that some of the
>> misinformation that some of the "tech press" puts out
>> is quite appalling - and that probably applies double or
>> more to security related articles.
>>
>> For example this one:
>>
>> To: sf-lug <sf-lug at linuxmafia.com>
>>> Subject: [sf-lug] https hack
>>> Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2016 10:01:57 -0700
>>>

>> New attack bypasses HTTPS protection on Macs, Windows, and Linux<
>>> http://arstechnica.com/security/2016/07/new-attack-that-crip
>>> ples-https-crypto-works-on-macs-windows-and-linux/
>>>

>> The article starts of with, very first sentence of the very first
>> paragraph:
>> "A key guarantee provided by HTTPS encryption is that the addresses of
>> visited websites aren't visible to attackers who may be monitoring an end
>> user's network traffic."
>

> I agree that this is sloppy, confusing writing - domain names for HTTPS
> requests are already exposed, and IP addresses *certainly* are already
> exposed by TCP/IP underneath HTTPS.
>
> Good further reading for those who want to learn more:
>
> - https://https.cio.gov/faq/
>
> - http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8858102/with-https-
> are-the-url-and-the-request-headers-protected-as-the-request-body-is
>
> Cheers,
>
> Asheesh.

*~the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear...*