[sf-lug] shell, man(1) [was: path name expansion]

Alex Kleider akleider at sonic.net
Sun Aug 21 09:05:37 PDT 2016

On 2016-08-21 00:22, Michael Paoli wrote:

> $ printenv | grep SHELL
> SHELL=/bin/bash
> XTERM_SHELL=/bin/bash
> $ printenv | grep SHELL | grep -v '^XT'
> SHELL=/bin/bash

Here's my output:

$ printenv | grep SHELL
SHELL=/bin/bash
$ ps -p$PPID
   PID TTY          TIME CMD
  6592 ?        00:00:43 gnome-terminal

the output from the same commands after using CTRL-ALT-F2 and logging
in is:

SHELL=/bin/bash
SHELLOPTS=braceexpand:emacs:hashall:histexpand:history:interactive-comments:monitor
             echo "\$SHELL: $SHELL" 1>&2;

   PID TTY          TIME CMD
   921 tty2     00:00:00 login

Neither one gives me the XTERM_SHELL=/bin/bash which appears on your
system.
Would it be possible in your system for the SHELL and the XTERM_SHELL
variables to not be set to the same value and if so, which would you
believe to be the shell you were using?  I'd assume the former but I'd
be interested to know why you have the two instead of just the one.