[sf-lug] SF-LUG meeting of Monday, 15 August 2016

Alex Kleider akleider at sonic.net
Wed Aug 17 09:12:50 PDT 2016

On 2016-08-16 12:01, Rick Moen wrote:

>    partitioning tutorial
>
> First hit looks OK:
> http://www.porteus.org/tutorials/40-partitions/111-tutorial-understanding-partitioning-and-formatting.html

Thanks to Rick for (again, as he so often does) elucidating things and
giving sound advice.

Regarding the partitioning tutorial, in it I read the following:
"""#destination directory needs to be empty in order to mount a device
to it."""
I believe this is incorrect.  My understanding is that after mounting,
the previous content of that directory will cease to be accessible but
that the directory need not be empty before it can be used as a mount
point.  I remember in the past making use of this 'feature' as a way of
checking if an automated mounting worked as intended- i.e. by having an
empty file in the directory with a known name and if after an attempt at
mounting, that file is there, one knows that the mount did not succeed.
cheers,
Alex