[sf-lug] SF-LUG meeting of Monday, 15 August 2016

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Mon Aug 15 23:04:15 PDT 2016

             SF-LUG meeting of August 15, 2016

     Well I got to the Cafe Enchante by 5:50, did my setup and
remembered this time to switch on the WiFi on the Dell
  E6420  and it was online before I could get back to my
seat from ordering my usual drink.
   No other LUG members had appeared at 6:05 PM so
I started to read the Distrowatch-Weekly newsletter
when I noted that my clock was still displaying UTC
instead of Pacific time.  I tried to fix that but no luck
I think it might be locked in the BIOS.

     Now this week the Distrowatch Weekly reviews
the Zenwalk distribution.
     Open Mandriva 3.0 is out in i589 and x86_64 versions
that run very well, but the KDE's is still pushing an
incomplete Plaxma 5 lacking certain amenities to
which KDE's Plasma users like myself have become
accustomed.  Certain handy widgets are missing and
some are more limited in their function, and a
significant plugin remains missing.  According to the
Usenet sources Mageia 6RC has reached the quality
assurance stage of testing.

     6:15 PM Erik showed up with a new external drive with
which he was having some problems and this provided
lots of material for discussion.  he had tried to format
a new external drive of 4 Terabytes (=3.64 Tebibytes).
We discussed formatting the drive using GParted or similar
tools.  Erik said the last formatting had taken overnight
and wiped out the only partition setup on the disk.
Discussed use of file managers principally Dolphin
and Midnight commander as well.
Eric left about 7:25 PM

     6:20 PM Aaron came in bringing his $8 older tower
computer hauling it on a shopping cart via public
transport from the East Bay (as I understand).
This older PC clone was sold as having several hundred
Gigabytes of music and he was not disappointed,
He found an Asus monitor to use as display,

     It has Windows XP installed in a 50-60 Gigabyte
partition and Aaron was de-fragmenting the partition
and running cleanup on it trying to make room enough
for a Linux partition.  Aaron had brought in some disks
both loaned to him and a couple of blank cds.
     After 7:30 PM  I began to pack-up.  Since Aaron
was busy with the cheap computer I stuck around
until 8:30 PM to keep him company but I began to
get drowsy and recalled that I had medication
to take at home so left and caught a #38 back to
my neighborhood.

     Well I hope that if I have made any grievous mis-statements
of fact in the previous line that I will be corrected by the
knowledgeable.

     The next SF-LUG meeting will be on Sunday September 4
and you should see my regular notice around August 29 on
this mailing list.

     Bobbie Sellers