[sf-lug] > and >> and < and << and |

Alex Kleider akleider at sonic.net
Mon Aug 8 18:29:02 PDT 2016

On 2016-08-08 10:32, jim wrote:

> (The DASH man page is glorious, unlike some other
> man pages.)

I've noticed that some small (SoC) systems come with dash rather than
bash and assumed that the former was a 'smaller' version of the latter
and was surprised that my system (current LTS of Ubuntu) seems to have
both installed.
$ man DASH  # man page
$ man dash  # same man page
$ man bash  # different structure but I find no differences in behaviour
described.
$ dash # => a '$' prompt by itself; I'm in another shell, dash this
time.
$ DASH
DASH: command not found
$ bash  # a pause and then the same prompt returns; I'm in another
shell.

interesting.
Under what circumstances would someone with both installed wish to use
dash rather than bash?

Alex