[sf-lug] Linux Kernel Advancements

Sujit K M kmsujit at gmail.com
Sun Aug 7 22:27:51 PDT 2016

Any one with idea why Linux Kernel is bringing up so many revisions.
What I thought was the 2.2/2.4 and 2.6 versions took 2 decades and the
remaining two 3.x and 4.x only about 2 years. Is it because of OS
technologies/hardware changes, but I thought these revisions were for
betterments
in kernel. Why do you think that the kernel is being modified so much.
Also are these latest kernels
available in Distros. I also see a lot of 3.x longterm kernels and one
4.x kernel version. Why is there only one 4.x kernel, if you see the
latest 4.x version is 4.8, are the releases very stable.