[sf-lug] SF-LUG website (& editing thereof) [was: Re: Noisebridge SF-LUG (Noisebridge Linux discussion supported by SF-LUG, ...)]

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Thu Jul 14 21:55:46 PDT 2016

Fixing some (mis-)quoting and rearranging a bit:

Uhm, well, no shortage of rather to quite out-of-date information on
https://www.sf-lug.org/

Let's see ...
at least it shows correct date for meeting ... but I think also that's
still PHP, and I believe Jim quite expressed a preference to get away
from using PHP - certainly at least for publicly accessible web pages
... and instead have a "static" web page ... that would be suitably
updated via a cron(8) driven crontab(1) job.  Let's see, peek at source
and we find ...
$ id; ls -ld $(pwd -P) $(ls -1d index.* | egrep -v '\..*\.|\.test$')
uid=22035(sflugwww) gid=22035(sflugwww) groups=22035(sflugwww)
drwxrwsr-x 2 root     sflugwww 4096 Jul 12 16:59 /var/www/www.sf-lug.org
-rw-r--r-- 1 sflugwww sflugwww 4258 Dec  4  2011 index.php
$
... and inspecting, yes, it uses PHP code to display that date,
no, I'm not going to post it here for folks/bots to search out
vulnerabilities and then try and exploit 'em on the site itself.
What else have we ...
"meetings are the" ... hmmm, always?, no mention of exceptions, or
qualifying it with "generally"?
"Meetings are usually in San Francisco at" ...
Uhm, has SF-LUG *ever* met outside of San Francisco?
If SF-LUG has *never* met outside of San Francisco, then perhaps rather
use:
"Meetings are in San Francisco usually at" ...
"gnu" - shouldn't it be uppercase in that context?
... "Solaris"?  Uhm, really?  How often/frequently/recently has Solaris
been discussed at an SF-LUG meeting? ... and like in a serious, rather
than mocking or mostly/entirely historical context?
"Policies: Anything goes" ...
"Job Postings: current policy is"
Uhm, ... shouldn't the Policies bit end with "Except:", just before the
"Job Postings:" portion?  Otherwise they logically conflict, ... and
less polite folk may go with the first, in violation of the
second/subsequent and conflicting.
"Projects include:" Uhm, yeah, I'm guestimating that listing needs a
fair bit of updating.
The mention/link about "Ubuntu Installation to a USB Stick" seems quite
promising, but seems slightly out of place as it's placed/formatted on
the page.  Perhaps slightly better placement, or some heading or bold
bit to make it more like the others and set it off a modest bit, or
alternatively, if relevant to "Projects", include and list it there,
with sufficient additional context to reasonably indicate how it also
fits in "Projects".  Then also, alas, the link is dead, and looks like
it's probably been dead months or more.  Domain quite exists, doesn't
expire for a long time, has IP, but that IP refuses connection on TCP
port 80 - and that's what the URL is using.  From archive.org, looks
like a quite nice article.  Perhaps do like Wikipedia often does - link
to the archived copy on archive.org, rather than what looks to be
relatively dead link (and likewise adding the id_ suffix on the date
portion allows it to pass through unaltered).
"Hosting" ... yeah, that stuff is *way* out-of-date.  As I'd mentioned,
at least in part.
circle.circlesoft.com & CircleSoft - hasn't been used by SF-LUG in many
years now.
Costs of domain name and system maintenance and administration ... uhm,
I think that's been mostly me for some moderate while now.  Of course
Jim is also rather involved in hosting SF-LUG meetings, whereas I show
up there only rather infrequently.  Anyway, I think Jim(/Systemeteka)
likely ought get some hosting credit/mention for that too.
ServePath - that was 3 hosting entities ago.  At present, and for past
many months, hosted by yours truly - and you can skip the bit about
where located (that might be subject to change).
"Silicon Mechanics" - still somewhat relevant, but not exactly as it's
still stated/implied on the web site.  A much more accurate and current
statement would be something like:
"Machine courtesy of Silicon Mechanics, thus far still continues to also
be used in support of SF-LUG and BALUG and their projects." - that
should be sufficient to be currently accurate now, and likely into at
least the medium-term future, or so.
Anyway, I tend to think web page maintenance involves a bit more than
waiting for reality to come around to slightly better correlating to
what's on a web page.